Moving from one house to another can be exciting and stressful at the same time. There are so many things that you must do and care about.
To ensure the whole house moving process runs smoothly and you settle happily at your new place, we have created a moving house checklist. Follow this to ensure you complete each and every task according to the plan.
2 months before moving house
- Compare house moving services and select carefully. You should hire a moving service which is licensed by Australian Furniture Removers Association. Share house moving details with the house moving service and get a quote. Book the right house moving service as per your needs and budget
- Prepare a list of contents that need to be moved to new location and organize contents for easy packing
- Study the floor plan of your new house and measure the spaces. Plan the furniture placement and see if the large items including your refrigerator fit perfectly
- Make an inventory list of everything and note down any dents and scratches
- Prepare a list of delicate and precious items separately. These things items need special packaging
- Dispose unwanted things before you start packing
- Check with the manufacturer or browse the manufacturer’s website for special moving instructions for electronic items like washing machine, oven, and television.
- Dispose of any flammable liquids.
- Redirect your mail to new address
- Create a separate folder to keep your moving documents
- Cancel newspaper and magazine subscriptions
- Get all family medical records documents, school records, and dental records and keep them in a separate folder
- Arrange pre-school, school and day-care transfers
- Inform the final moving day and time with lawyers and real estate agent to ensure the Settlement date is scheduled on the final moving day or one day before.
- If the property is leased, arrange for an inspection from the house owner before handing the keys on the final moving day.
If you are packing by self
- Arrange for different size cartons as per your needs. Purchase bubble wrap for packaging, markers, and tapes from the moving service company.
- Avoid using newspaper to wrap items as it might soil them. Instead, use white butcher paper sheets to wrap items.
- Label every carton and mention content in it. Also, write the destination room on the carton.
- Pack fragile items in separate cartons and label them “Fragile”. Mark them as handle with special care.
- Pack heavier items in small cartons and lighter items in big cartons. Always keep heavier items at the bottom.
- Dismantle furniture and keep the screws in a packet and place them in an obvious location where they can be easily found. You can make separate “Essential” cartons and keep furniture screws, bed legs, keys to cabinets, remote controls, shelf support, and other essential items in the box.
2-3 weeks before the final moving day
- Inform all relevant authorities about house shifting
- Return all DVDs and library books
- If required, arrange for a babysitter for your kids on the final moving day
- Make arrangements to take care of pets for the final moving day
- Fill prescriptions medicines stock for a month so that you have enough prescription medicines until the first week after moving to the new place.
- Remove batteries and take meter readings for gas and electricity connections
- Discontinue local memberships, newspaper subscriptions and automated payment plans for any local services
- Apply for a day off or more at your workplace for the final moving day
- Get your new house thoroughly cleaned before you move to the new house.
- Make a “handyman kit” to keep screws, light bulbs, screwdrivers, penknife, wall hooks, Allen keys and hammer
One day before the final moving day
- Pack all clothes and personal items in a bag
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator. Clean the oven
- If you are using professional movers to transport your luggage, keep all essential items required for the last day in a separate box
- Keep some cash in hand for necessary expenses
On the Final moving day
- Have the essential carton in hand
- Provide the new house floor plan to the house moving service along with address and parking information.
- Ask the moving service to load the box with kitchen items last so they would be the first to be unloaded at new place
- Check all items as they are loaded in the truck
- Turn off the water heater, room heaters/air conditioners, gas connections and switch of all lights before locking the door.
At your new place
- Unload the items and ask the house moving service to place the cartons in rooms as per the labels
- Check all items have been unloaded
- Notify house moving service if anything is missing
- Assemble furniture and beds
- Settle pets and children in new house
- Check you have new keys and follow instructions applicable to new residence
Follow these House Moving Checklist points and your move will go smoothly. To book your move, contact Pryco Removalists team today.