If you have never had to pack clothes for moving, you may find yourself overwhelmed with the various materials and suggestions that are out there.
Some people feel that it is a good idea to do your packing at home so that you can save time and money by not having to hire movers.
However, hiring professional movers can be extremely expensive and if you’re not careful, you may end up with damages or back injuries that can take a while to heal.
Here are some helpful movers and packers tips to help you out when it comes to packing clothes for moving.
Things To Do – Before Packing Clothes
Organise The Closets – The most important things to do before packing your clothes are to organize your closet and think about what items you really need. Decide whether you’re going to use tape or labels to label your boxes before you pack your clothes.
If you’re on a tight budget you might find it a little bit harder to get new clothes but you can always recycle some of your old clothes for a fraction of the price. The last thing is that the boxes that you pack should be clearly labelled so that you know where everything is!
Keep Some And Donate/Sell Some– Organizers that focus on helping out people who are in need of some form of assistance will surely have a need for old and dirty clothes. Closet items such as old ties, old socks, old t-shirts, old pants that you feel no longer use can be donated. Some charities may not accept unsolicited items but may be willing to accept items that are gathered in an appropriate manner. In this case, you will need to arrange with them the date and time of the drop off.
Sell Closet Items Still In Fashion – You can sell some closet items to friends, family, and neighbours for a small amount. It is important to know first what will be the price range of the items you want to sell. Make sure you label each of your items so you know where to put your items when you sell it.
Wash Or Dry-cleaning – If you have never done washing and dry cleaning your own clothes before, you should consider doing it. Depending on the amount of clothes that you have to get washed or dried, you will need to buy specific tools.
There are a variety of tools out there to help you with washing and drying your clothes. You’ll need to rent a dryer from your local laundry store or a commercial dryer to hang up your clothes. Then, it is time to pack everything back into the boxes that it came in and take it to the removals.
Clothing packing ways and moving supplies
Cardboard boxes – There are various methods and materials used in packing clothes so that they can be transported safely. The flat pack, the foam box, or the garment board packing method are the most common. The foam clothing pack is perhaps the most widely used type of packing material. Cardboard boxes are also very useful in the sense that they come with small compartments at the bottom.
Wardrobe Boxes – If you have to pack clothes in a wardrobe box, you need to choose the right one. The best ones are made of sturdy materials that are strong enough to withstand the weight of clothes. Boxes also need to be large enough to accommodate all the clothing items.
- Clothes hangers – By using these, you can pack your clothes in a box easily. You only need to hang them on the hanger and then let the box slide closed. This is the most time-consuming of the packing methods but it.
- Clothes carton – Cartons can be used for more delicate items like blouses and skirts. This method of packing clothing is very useful if you have to transfer clothes from an airport to a hotel room.
Suitcases and overnight cases– Identify what kind of clothing will you be packing. Then, you will need to organize the luggage as well as label the bags accordingly. Heavy items should be placed at the bottom and lightweight ones at the top of the luggage. Label and place all the moving supplies as well, including the suitcases. There are various ways to pack the clothes before they are packed to avoid them from getting dirty.
Duffels – Choosing duffels over a suitcase is a good idea if you are concerned about getting your suitcase dirty. Duffel bags are lighter in weight and easier to move around on your hands than a large suitcase or large bag. If you are going to hire a professional to help you pack your clothing then take into consideration any additional clothing packing methods that they may offer. They may use a suitcase or a duffel bag, whichever ones you prefer.
Vacuum sealing or packing – Vacuum sealing and vacuum packing usually cost you a good amount of money. You have to purchase a machine that can wrap your clothes in a durable plastic. It might be a good idea to use a cardboard box for packing your woollen clothes.
Ways of sorting over the clothes
- Sort as per material – Washing your clothes by material is a brilliant way to sort through your clothes and get them where they need to go. Some clothes can be washed in one wash, while others need to be washed at least two. Buying in bulk will ensure that you get all your clothes washed at least twice.
- Sort as per season – Divide up the clothes that you really need and discard the rest. The more you give away, the more new clothes you will get. It’s best to have whatever you need right at hand so that you don’t have to go searching for the right outfit. Don’t forget to take a look at the closet you have been storing your clothes in and start moving everything out. You will be surprised at how much room you have once you’ve sorted your clothes by season.
- Sort as per clothing items – Sorting your clothing by pieces can help you quickly find all of the items that you need. There are many different pieces of clothing that you could sort, but for now we are going to talk about just a few different pieces. Some of these pieces include handbags, shoes, belts, and other items that can be easily separated. This is a process that should not take very long if you have organized your clothing properly.
- Separate every individual’s clothing– Some people get overwhelmed when it comes to taking care of their clothes. Having a professional come into your home to sort through your closet will prevent this problem. Ask around to see if anyone has ever had something like this done before. There are companies that will come in once per week or even once per month to sort through your closet. These services are usually fairly reasonable, especially compared to what you would spend on a single closet at home.
Fold-techniques of non-hanging clothes
- The flat-fold method – The flat fold is the easiest type of fold to learn how to do, especially if you are trying to fold non-hanging clothes. All you have to do is put the clothes that you want to fold in one of the two folds, and then carefully tuck the rest of the material underneath.
- Military-roll method – Military rolling method is one of the best ways for saving your money. The process is simple but effective and you will have a dry and clean cloth on your laundry. There are different types of clothes that you can choose from including shirts, pants, trouser hangers, and jeans.
Ways To Pack And Move Clothes Within Dressers –
If you do not know how to move some items around and do not follow the proper instructions, you may end up damaging some of your belongings.
- One of the best ways to solve this problem is by simply reorganizing the furniture.
- Another tip on moving clothes to a new house is to make sure that you label each piece of furniture that you will be moving.
Transport hanging clothes to new home securely –
There are many easy ways to transport your hanging clothes to your new home.
- One of the easiest ways is to simply tie a piece of clothing onto a large piece of tape.
- Hanging clothes onto a closet in your home is an easy way to move the clothes from place to place.
- This method works when you have enough weight to carry the clothes up but not too much weight so the clothes don’t fall.
- With hardwood flooring everywhere and closets everywhere, it’s important that we keep our belongings organized.
- There are many options for transportation when choosing how you are going to move your clothes. You can hire movers, or you could simply pack everything into boxes and tape them up.
No matter how difficult it is, it’s important that we find easy ways of transporting our belongings.
Pack shoes fairly while moving house –
The best way to pack shoes while moving house is to make sure they are properly stored.
- Packaging materials such as towels and blankets can protect your shoes from damage.
- Each pair of shoes should be packed separately so that if one pair becomes damaged, you can replace it.
- Your shoes should also be washed immediately after the move to ensure they are free from contamination.
- Moreover, the other best way to pack shoes is to ensure that they are well tied and have a secure tie. Many movers offer special moving boxes that can help protect your shoes from damage.
Pack delicate clothing differently –
Learn how to treat delicate clothing while packing.
- Identify which clothes are made of a fine quality and which ones are of poor quality.
- Break down each type of clothing according to its different parts.
If you follow these tips, you will be able to successfully move your clothing to your new home.
Basic moving tips
Finally, a handful of all-important and additional expert tips while moving and packing clothes.
- Calculate the boxes required for packing before buying
- Securely tie-up the trash-bag drawstrings
- Always clean clothes after the completion of moving
- Never try your hands on more than your capacity
- Do not over stuff the boxes
- Secure boxes with packing tape
- Label those neatly
- Carry valuables with you always
Are you ready to pack and move with us?
If you plan on moving around a lot in order to save time, it might be best to hire professional Movers and Packers like us in Melbourne. We will make sure that everything is packed properly and safely and you do not have to worry about any of the problems that you would encounter if you tried to do the packing and moving on your own!
If you are not sure how much time you will have to spend moving around, you should talk to our customer care executives by dialling 1800 958 013. Our efficient professional will guide you by estimating on how much time you will need based on how large your move is. They are ever ready to give you a range of time based on how many rooms you have to move around, the distance you have to travel, how many bags you have to carry, and how many people are going to be moving with you.
Remember, it can be difficult to know how much time you will have left, so it is best to plan ahead.
Moreover, if you are not sure about how to pack certain types of clothing, ask our well-trained movers and packer expert team leaders to help you out with the packing process. Sometimes, depending on the type of clothing you have, certain types require special wrapping or extra care when you are packing.
We, at the Movers and Packers will make recommendations for this depending on the items that you are moving. This is usually something that is worth paying for since it means that you will get a good package that is protected.
Whether you are moving a lot or a little, or even if you are moving just one or two people, having the right Movers and Packers in Melbourne will be worth the extra time spent!